Tuesday, March 14, 2006

Roman Noodles...

A little while ago there was a request on the LatinTeach list for a good mnemonic device to remember the kings of Rome. The one I use is:

Roman = Romulus
Noodles = Numa Pompilius
Toss = Tullus Hostilius
And = Ancus Marcius
Turn; = Tarquinius Priscus
Serve = Servius Tullius
Them! = Tarquinius Superbus

I think the "Serve" is my variation (the original had "Save")... but I give credit for the whole phrase to the inimitable Susan Schearer, now retired from John Handley High School in Winchester, VA. If someone has another provenance for this, please let me know!

P.S. The allusion to pasta is a nice touch!

2 comments:

Dominique said...

Thanks, this'll help on my upcoming Latin exam!(:

Unknown said...

Richard Never Took A Love So Low. Romulus. Numa Pompilius. Tullus Hostillius.. Ancus Marcius. Lucio Tarquinio Priscus. Servius Tullus. Lucio Tarquinio Superbus. Ana Serra Rome Guide. Selected Tours Italy.